What are the benefits of exercise?
As the old saying goes 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away'
If you're not a fan of apples, there is another way to keep yourself out of the doctors surgery.......EXERCISE!
There is strong scientific evidence to suggest that regular physical activity can boost self-esteem, mood, sleep quality and energy but it also has many other benefits for health including:
- Reducing the risk of premature death by 20-30%
- Reducing the risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), Stroke, Diabetes and certain cancers by 50%
- Improving functional capacity
- Reducing the risk of back pain
- Increasing bone density and reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
- Improving psychological wellbeing
- Reducing the risk of stress, anxiety, and clinical depression.
- Reducing the symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Improving weight loss and weight management, reducing the risk of obesity.
- Improving quality of life and general wellbeing
(Department of Health, 2011).
- Read Next
- Thursday Fitness Classes Why are my muscles sore after the gym? Ride The Night Edinburgh 2019 Tuesday Fitness Classes Will Lifting Weights Make Me Bulky? Meet the Sports Staff.....Keira Meet the Sports Staff........Jamie Meet the Sports Staff.....Stuart What should I do in the Gym? Liftshare with QMU Mark's Blog: Benefits of living in QMU Halls
- This weeks menu in 1875! Your Maggie's Menu... Student Shopping Guide to Musselburgh BobCats Alpacas on Campus Accommodation - Helpful Information