Fun food facts to pick up your day!
For all you foodies out there, have you heard these facts before?!
Contrary to popular belief, croissants are believed to have originated in Austria, not France. Austrian artillery officer August Zang is credited with bringing the croissant to France when he opened his own Viennese bakery in Paris (1830s)
- People in Japan grow watermelons in glass cubes to force them into forming square-shaped. These cubic melons are easier to store in refrigerators and slide into squares, and sell for significantly more than regular watermelons. The seeds from these melons still produce round watermelons, unless those, too, are grown in cubes
- The fastest marathon ever run by a competitor dressed as a fruit was the 2 hours, 58 minutes, and 20 seconds recorded by British runner Patrick Wightman, who was dressed as a banana
- You can only whip cream at 10 deg Celsius or lower, any warmer and you end up with butter!
- Read Next
- Things only Edinburgh locals will know... 5 things worth knowing about coffee! Catering on Campus - What's Available? Super Salads in 1875 Pancake Tuesday! Food Allergy Awareness Healthy Me! at QMU Eat, Drink and Play at QMU Piri Piri Chicken with Spicy Rice Recipe Are You A Winner? Come food shopping with me... Quick round up of food on campus Check out our QMU Cookbook
- This weeks menu in 1875! Your Maggie's Menu... How often should i be training? Quick round up of food on campus Eat, Drink and Play at QMU