Wait, don't sign anything yet!
Congratulations, you've found a house you love!
The househunting process is ALMOST over but first, you've got to get over the hump that is the contract.
Signing a contract like this for the first time can be a bit confusing, so listen up we've got a few tips to help. Put the pen down and have a read:
- Asked to pay money to hold your property? Get a Holding Payment Agreement. This lays out what you've paid, why and if it can be returned to you.
- No matter what you're told, you never have to pay your rent upfront for the year! Don't pay a deposit until you've signed your contract either.
- Get a deposit protection scheme included with your tenancy - they usually come with a certificate. They're useful when it comes to moving out if you have any disputes with your landlord.
- You'll be asked to nominate a guarantor who will be asked to pick up the bill if you ever miss a rent payment but you might not be aware that these don't always have to UK-based.
- International students can ask for a simplified booking procedure and sometimes, slightly different contracts are available.
- Always get a written tenancy agreement. This way you can take it home and have a thorough look at it before signing it. Manchester Student Homes offers a free contract checking service, all you need to do is take yours into the office or email them a copy.
We hope you'll be happy in your house and get settled in nice and easy!
READ NEXT: If you're unsure what to do about bills, bills, bills, we've got your back...
- Read Next
- Recycle Right! Nation Student Housing Survery Zone Out: Crystal Maze Halls Lock-In A day in the life of a CSA. All Saints Student Living - social event calendar Free Study Calendar... Give It, Don't Bin It! Got any spare change? MSH Housing Surgeries International Society Weekly Social
- What’s On This Week: Apr 23rd – Apr 29th 2018 Find out more about your hall... Nation Student Housing Survery Zone Out: Crystal Maze Halls Lock-In New Student? Learn about Res Life at MMU