Moving back to uni: Expectations vs. reality
Let's be real, Christmas feels like a million years ago.
Whether you've just moved back to campus or you've been here slightly longer, we welcome you back to university with open arms! For some of you, this might be a positive thing and others, not so much - we don't take any offence...
If you're feeling a bit down in the dumps and moving back to university isn't how you thought it would be, is it because your expectations were anything like this?
1. "I have SO much more freedom at uni."
Reality: You miss your family and friends from home, right? That's understandable. Christmas is a lovely time surrounded by everyone but it gets to a point where you're ready to get back to your independent life at university where you have no one to answer to BUT you may have noticed that now you're back, you miss everyone like crazy. Remember, they're only a WhatsApp message or phone call away!
2. "My life at university is way better than at home!"
Reality: You've come back to university and got 5 exams and 3 assignment deadlines within the next month, so maybe it isn't that amazing after all! This is guaranteed to make you feel homesick but no matter how hard you're finding January, it's all over before you know it and then university life goes back to normal. Get some plans in the calendar to give you something to look forward to.
3. "My new loan drops in January, buzzing!"
Reality: Like most university students in 2019, you probably need to stick to a budget to make sure your money lasts until the end of this term so maybe you won't be splashing the cash after all. Being on a budget isn't all bad though, have a look through our hacks and tips and you'll find lots of cheaper ways to cook, have fun and go shopping (etc) without spending all your cash at once.
4. "I'm struggling and have nobody to talk to about it."
Reality: Remember you have so much support around you at university. You could talk to your friends/flatmates because they may be feeling the same way as you. If you find that difficult, you can visit your RA drop-in 6pm-7pm every evening in your accommodation reception, or email ResLife@mmu.ac.uk. For academic stress, your tutors will be able to help out too.
The first (big) step is reaching out and after that, you will hopefully start to feel better.
- Read Next
- Coping with the stresses of student life: Tips from a 2nd year You know you're a student when.... How bad sleep can affect your grades How to stay positive Revision Tips - Stay with us to study! 5 top secret study spots How to find a part time job Loan payday purchases... What is it like for International students at MMU? What it's like being a student from outside the UK Adulting: the untold truth Awkward things that happen when making friends
- Fancy winning £500 cash? Skint? You need a fakeaway! Revision Tips - Stay with us to study! Easter eggs up for grabs! The best places to eat in MCR