How to resolve any problems with Flatmates
As it is the first time that many of us have had to live with people other than our family, there can sometimes be disputes arising in your flat. Common disputes can stem from flat cleanliness, noise, sharing food or equipment or simply a clash of personalities.
It's important to understand that we all have different expectations of each other and different opinions of living. Sometimes identifying these differences can be difficult, as you do not want to cause an argument in the flat, here are some ways you can resolve disputes:
- Identify with each other what you’re used to and how they normally deal with situations at home. So that you can talk to each other and come to an agreement about how the flat is managed and whether you need to make rules in the flat or a chore timetable
- Talk to each other politely, it can be frustrating but try to be polite so as not to aggravate the situation.
- If asking does not seem to work or flatmates aren't taking your hints, try to speak to your Residential Advisor, they'll be able to handle the situation in a general and open context.
- Leaving notes or message can come across as a little passive aggressive, talking directly with each other can be better (if you can remember to try and all stay calm!).
If you need any advice or support about your living arrangements why not pop along to your Residential Advisor Drop-Ins?
- Read Next
- 5 things to do when you have settled in Couch to 5K 10 best things about being a Student Ambassador Daisy Bank Halls: From a Daisy Bank Veteran How We Can Help At Birley Student Living Reception
- Fancy winning £500 cash? Easter eggs up for grabs! Revision Tips - Stay with us to study! Things to do in Manchester that cost £0.00 The best places to eat in MCR