How being an RA changed my uni experience!
If you don’t know what a residential advisor (RA) is by now, you’ve probably seen us around halls in our black and yellow hoodies. We’re the ones that come and visit your flat, run events around campus and sit in reception 6-7 every night waiting for you to visit us in drop-in!
I applied to be an RA because I heard about the role through a friend. She told me about all the perks of the job and I thought it was too good to be true for a part-time, flexible role around my studies.
Following the interview process which included a group task and role play, I was made aware that the role was very competitive. When I received the email to say that I had got the job, I was so excited but still didn’t really know what to expect. That was 3 years ago now as this is my third year of being an RA, and I have never looked back!
Being an RA transformed my uni experience in so many ways:
- I have met so many new people from all different backgrounds/walks of life.
- I have received over 110 hours of training, most of which transferable to future jobs and looks great on my CV.
- I have been able to plan numerous events, being involved in every aspect from promotion to budgeting.
- The role has really boosted my confidence and interpersonal skills due to speaking to students every week, dealing with various scenarios.
- I was given the opportunity to be a Team Leader in my second year of being an RA which has developed my leadership skills.
- I have learned what goes into efficient teamwork having to work closely with my team on a weekly basis
- I was given the opportunity to organise a ball from start to finish!
- I have learnt how to deal with difficult scenarios.
If you are interested in becoming an RA, you may come across the job description and see the benefits of great pay and discounted rent. However, to me and most of my fellow RAs this job has been and is so much more than that. Being an RA has set me up for life after uni and provided me with countless opportunities and memories making my time at Man Met so memorable.
- Read Next
- Get ready for RA recruitment to open! ResLife Rewind! How to resolve any problems with Flatmates Reaching out to your RA The RA Life! My life as an intern
- Christmas Contact Centre My top 10 things to do over the Winter Break! Short Term Lets Christmas Switch Off 2018 A guide to the Manchester Christmas Markets