Are you ready to move out?
It's time you started tidying your room and packing up to move out...
Moving out can be a stressful (and emotional) time, so we're going to help you the best we can!
To make sure you avoid any additional cleaning charges, we have all the hacks you need to leave your accommodation clean and tidy:
- Leave your room spotless
Make sure all surfaces are wiped down, the floor is vacuumed/mopped (check under tables and chairs) and that the bathroom floor is the colour it's intended to be... The toilet and sink need to be cleaned too.
- Blow dry any stickers
When removing pictures and posters, be very careful that you don't leave any marks! If you used any adhesive stickers, use a hairdryer to warm up the adhesive before you pull it off to make them easier to remove.
- Plan a team tidy up
It's a good idea to plan with your flatmates how (and when) you'll tackle your communal areas. In the kitchen, your oven, grill and tray need to be cleaned before you leave so decide who's going to do what. Some people may be leaving earlier than others and you don't want to be the one left to clean everything on your own.
- Don't leave anything behind
Make sure the fridge/freezer is cleared out, as well as all your bins and personal items. You'll need to defrost your freezer too. All your bins need to be emptied so make sure you don't forget. There will be designated drop-off points around the campuses to recycle and give away any unwanted items to charity, so keep your eyes peeled!
- Give your microwave some TLC
The easiest way to get rid of the food splatters is by putting a bowl of half water and half vinegar in the microwave for 5 minutes. The steam breaks down the dirt so all you have to do is wipe it down.
- Have you drained the drains?
All you need to do is combine baking soda and vinegar and pour it down your drain. Leave it for about an hour or more and then flush it down with hot water.
Remember, leave your accommodation how you found it or even better!
- Read Next
- Budget your way through your last few weeks... Things to do (and not do) before an exam Everything you need to know to sit an exam at DCU! How green are you? Things you need to know about exams at uni National Student Housing Survey: Win €560 CASH!
- Do you know what you can recycle? ResLife: The 2017/18 best bits! Win a VIP Package for your 1st year @ DCU! Are you ready to move out? Applications for 2018/19 accommodation open NOW!